Monday, June 8, 2015

Summer in full effect!

Hey all! It is sweet summer time - I am so thankful for a break and time to hang out with my little guy! My son is 14 months old and so much fun (except when he is tired!) I also am excited to be with my big girls - one will be in college this coming year, the other is going into 11th grade! I am a step-mom as well as a "tummy-mummy" as a friend coined it long ago. I love being a parent, it has really helped me to understand the parents I work with as well as my own mom and grandma!

This summer so far has been full of "surprises." We became homeowners last September. We LOVE our house (I will talk more about this later...) but OH THE JOYS of homeownership. We have had issues with the garage door (when I had to text my principal - "I will be a bit late, I am trapped in my garage!") earlier in the year. This time we were going to bed on Saturday night and my husband noticed that the thermostat was set to 72, but the temp read 74. He fiddled with it, the AC, breaker box etc., and figured out around midnight that we were in for a hot one, our AC was broken! Now, when I lived in PA, and sometimes even VA, a broken AC for a day or so isn't awful, its bearable and annoying, but not entirely awful. Well, in FL it is awful. The night wasn't too bad, but Sunday was pretty rough, especially for baby (L)!

The highest we got was 84. We had the fan running on the AC and the ceiling fans on high. I luckily was going to meet a sweet friend at Starbucks, so off L and I went!

When we got home, baby had dinner and my younger daughter (M) was home - so she decided to give him a bath. Bath time now consists of one of us jumping in the big tub (in a bathing suit, or old clothes) and giving L a bath. M LOVES to do it. It was a great way to cool the poor guy off!

Bath aftermath

Today the AC guy came and it was a simple fix! We are now enjoying the cool air - I can have my front door open, blinds open, its such a relief! (Plus, I can continue my "A Different World" binge watching obsession - Oh Dwayne and Whitley!)

Slowly cooling down

So I had mentioned that I'd tell you more about my house. I LOVE my house. It is my dream home! Living in Northern VA was such a bummer at times because even with good jobs, we couldn't afford to buy the house we wanted. It was too expensive. Now, living in FL, we can! 

One place I love is our office. A lot of our rooms are still works in progress, the office is one of them. We do have a big desk where the desk top computer is located (where I am right now, so if any words are missing the letter "f", blame the computer, that key hates to work correctly!) I also have our old computer desk with my sewing machine and crafty stuff - I really want a Silhouette machine... really, really, really. I need more time to be crafty. Can we add about 8 more hours to the day and have them also coincide with naptime?

Don't let the  yarn fool you, I cannot knit or crochet

My FAVORITE place in the house (note I said "in", I LOVE my back yard... and would love it more with a pool. Hey, a girl can dream.) is my bedroom. I told my husband that my goal was to have the bedroom feel like a hotel, like a retreat. I wanted to be able to escape the toys, kids and stress and be able to relax. We needed new furniture when we moved and we got this amazing beach-y, tropical looking set from Rooms-to-Go. Its so pretty. We had to get the matching lamps and pictures. It too, is a work in progress, but it makes me so happy.

Some of the stuffed animals are mine, some are L's... okay, most are mine.


So this summer, when we are not away up north, I will keep trying to get this room looking amazing. Oh, and get some fun things made for first! I started a board on Pintrest (don't get me started on how I feel about figuring out Pintrest... I feel so old) but that just got me panicking and feeling like there's not enough time to make/do/plan... 

Luckily, I have a great team and also one of my best friends is also teaching first back in VA! Be prepared for some "twin" posts! I am so excited. 

Have a happy summer day, I know I will! Be kind to someone!

Alison :)

P.S. I found my coconut scented SPF 50 sunscreen. I search all year for this! Woohoo!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com